Saturday, October 17, 2015

10 Unforgettable Moments From My Life

#1. The day my daughter was born. Nothing will ever take its place as the most unforgettable and most moving and changing moment of my life. The little person I carried and knew from the inside for nine months had come into the world and being able to see and hold my little girl has been the most powerful and moving moment of my life. I had become a mom and that feeling blew me away; I was in awe.

#2. The day my mom died. It was sudden and shocked me to my core. I had a hard time accepting it and my grief hit me hard. Some days it’s still hard. My mom meant more to me than I think she knew. I love my mom and when I think of her I can see her smiling in my mind. I know and I have faith that she is in a much better place, full of understanding and free of pain. Losing my mom was a tragic life changing moment, but because of it I have come to a realization about a few things and by doing so I have been able to refocus and prioritize what’s truly important in my life.

#3. The day I got my daughter back from when her biological father took and hid with her for two weeks was a day of relief and I was thanking the Lord Above that my daughter had been returned to me. I was lost without her and I worried constantly while she was away. When I had her back, my heart felt as though it had been healed and my mind could finally rest. I now cherish all the wonderful mommy moments even more and I will never forget the way if felt to have her ripped away from me. I want now more than ever to ensure that the time we have is quality time and my daughter knows how much I love her.

#4. The day I graduated from college with my Bachelors of Science in Psychology. I had worked hard the last 3 years of going to college. My first attempts at school I had failed miserably and then my attempts at community college were hindered and very slow progress. I was more determined and I worked harder when I went back for my third attempt, when I returned to Peru State and I succeed in my dreams of being a college graduate. I feel very accomplished and proud of myself.

#5. The day I left a domestic violence situation and moved into a domestic violence shelter with my 1 year old daughter. I felt alone and scared out of my mind. At the time, I wondered if I was making the right choice and what effect this may have on my daughter. What I learned was that I saved my daughter from furthering negative effects and the bond between my daughter and I was strengthened over the course of the next year. Which brings me to…

#6. The day I left to Miami Florida to another domestic violence shelter to get away from my abuser who had begun stalking me and using family to stalk me. I remember the day I left and arrived in Miami so vividly. My mom was the only one who knew I was leaving and she drove me to the airport in Omaha. And I wondered if I would ever be back and thought about everything I was forced to leave behind. I realized in that moment all the times I took the people in my life for granted and how now I may never see any of them again.

#7. The day I decided to come home back to Nebraska. I remember looking out the window at the sky there in West Palm Beach Florida and thinking to myself I wondering what awaits me when I returned. Would people accept me back or would I be hated. I worried about my abuser starting to cause me problems again and I thought could I be making a mistake. I took a leap of faith in believing Nebraska was a better place to raise my now 2 year old daughter. I came home and in the hope that people would give the new me a chance to show how I had changed and was still trying to change into a better person. I learned in returning that I have the strength to face my past and not everyone will forgive and accept that I had changed, but that’s okay. I just keep being the best I can be and that’s enough.

#8. The day Dan looked sweetly into my eyes as though he was looking at my soul and he cupped my face with his hands while telling me he loved me for the very first time. I remember his eyes, the way he smiled and I can still hear his voice. Nothing in the world will take this sweetest of memories away. The way my heart fluttered out of control as all my dreams came true in one small simple gesture. I had been swept off my feet and I had fallen from a height I had never been. But he had caught me.

#9.  The day I got my first job in social work was a very exciting and fulfilling day for me. I felt as though all my hard work had paid off and I was taken seriously as a college graduate. I felt important and valued while working there and I believe I was able to make a different in the lives of others. It is very powerful to feel like you contribute to society and help others in need. Although I no longer work at that first company, I am still doing social work and I find myself being empowered by the difference I make.


#10. Today and every day! I make moments to remember every day! It is the best way to live. I try my best to make the most out of each day. I try to keep in mind that each moment and every situation can be different. It is up to me and how I choose to act and think that will shape how my day will progress. I can make any day good or bad by my choices. Today I choose to be happy and I choose to spend this day with my children and family. Tonight we will be going to a children’s haunted house at a sorority of a local university. It will be moments to remember! 

5 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful story! You've overcome many challenges and are still standing! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Life is but a journey, sometimes it's hard and other times it's blissful. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read some. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are an incredibly strong woman & you've got so much to be proud of. You go girl! I'm stopping by from the Twitter thread where I'm a new follower. I look forward to getting to know you. I hoe your having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & thanks for stopping by my blog. I am grateful for the life I have lived. It has brought me to where I am today!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful was your struggle on your life, so strong &
    vibrant message from Ormoc City,Philippines.

    ReplyDelete