Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Reminiscing about Our Jamaican Vacation

My boyfriend’s parents have been married for over 40 years now and in 2013 his parents celebrated by renewing their vows on the beach in Jamaica for their 40th. I was fortunate to be included in the family’s trip to Jamaica making for a romantic vacation with my boyfriend as well as fun family bonding with his parents and siblings.

I’d like to start with my favorite picture from Jamaica and I did not take this photo. The photo was taken by a photographer that took the photos for my boyfriend’s parents’ vow renewal. I love this photo of me and Dan so much that for our anniversary the year after the trip, I had it framed and gave it to him as a gift. It now hangs in our living room. I think this photo captures our love and the elegance of the photo is astonishing.

There was so much to take in and see while we were in Jamaica. The nature was breathtaking and the architecture was amazingly beautiful. We went on a catamaran boat cruise and I was busy taking photos of all the structurally creative resorts on the beaches. This photo of the blue and white castle was my favorite. I loved the way the setting sun’s rays on the castle played and reflected in a shimmering sort of way. I can only imagine was the inside looked like and I hope it was as nifty and cool as the outside.

There were always boats around and some were named fun and interesting names. Also while on that catamaran boat cruise I saw some funny names for boats. This one in particular gave me a smile since I know that Dan’s dad likes Star Trek and honestly I had been watching and starting to thoroughly enjoy Star Trek as well. I got great amusement out of seeing this boat!

While in Jamaica, I had a fantastic time full of fun and great things to do. Every day on the beach there was different kind of band playing music for all to hear. This picture was from around lunch and they placed up closer to where we ate. It was wonderful to hear the Jamaican music live from very talented musicians. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish watching due to getting sick and I had to go to our room to lie down for a while. Dan took this photo of the band and I am sure glad that he did. I may have missed most of the music, but I will never forget the little bit I got to see and I feel as though I can even hear those notes play as I remember our time in Jamaica. 

There was so much to do and we tried to do as much as we could every day. We kept busy and had a blast. One day while there, we got to go snorkeling. I was nervous at first, but as soon as I got in the water and submerged my head looking at the reef and all the colorful fish I felt all the tension wash away and I was bewitched by the beauty of that underwater world. I was so mesmerized that I wasn’t paying close attention to the rest of the group and I swam away from them getting separated from them by the reef. At first this too was nerve racking, but it was only a brief moment feeling on edge, because the tranquility of the ocean would not allow me to stay nervous. After that experience, I am now intrigued to take it a step further and learn to scuba dive. This is a new dream of mine that hopefully one day will be fulfilled. 

Another thrilling activity I got to participate in was parasailing. Dan’s sister and her husband, plus Dan and I went on a ride parasailing. Dan’s sister took this photo of Dan and I at the beginning of our ride showing thumbs up to let the driver of the boat know we were ready to go. Parasailing was fantastic and as we climbed higher in the sky I could see more and more of the marvelous island. During our ride, the driver slowed the boat which let us drop slowly and as we dipped down toward the water, I began to get scared and I started to say the water as well as asking if we were going to crash. We were dunked into the water about chest deep and they within an instant we were high in the air again. The driver of the boat did this on purpose and what a thrill!

While walking along the beaches in Jamaica, there were vendors everywhere selling handmade items. One of these vendors was selling hand carved wooden figurines. I looked every day for a horse and he never had one. He asked after a few days what it was I was hoping to find and I told him a horse. The next day there it was this horse and it felt as though he made it just for me. I am lucky that Dan’s mom and dad are such nice and generous people. They bought me this horse and forever I will keep it as a praised piece to my horse collection.

The days were full of fun and things to do. We spent hardly any time at all in the room as we wanted to enjoy all the fantastic activities they offered us. When we did go back to the room, there was always a pleasant surprise awaiting us with how they folded and arranged the fresh towels they gave us. One night when we had finally gone back to the room we found this swan designed towel with flower petals. This specific design was a very romantic gesture. I liked each of the designs, but this one was my favorite.

All the photos from Jamaica are valued memories for me. This picture especially is one to remember and cherish. In this photo, I can really see how happy all of us were in the same moment. The photo itself is very creative and artistic. I think the angle was brilliant and I really like how it turned out. I will hold dear these photos of such a magical vacation.

After the wedding in which Dan’s parents renewed their vows as well as his brother and his sister renewed their vows with their spouses, we all got together and had pictures taken. These photos were very special to me. I really felt included and part of the family. This picture is of everyone who went to Jamaica together. The men sure do look handsome and the women look very pretty. I like this photo so much, it hangs on my refrigerator that way I can see it every day as a reminder.



Thanks for joining me on this photo journey remembering such a lovely vacation with the most wonderful people. We shared spectacular times while in Jamaica and it was great to have been part of it. 

12 comments:

  1. My dad and brother a Star Trek fans also. We had a dog named Captain Kirk aka Cap. My family and I went to Jamaica this summer and I had the same experience with snorkeling. I was breathless jumping in the water and once I let go of the rope that anchored the boat I was fine. I could have stayed longer, it was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way! Thanks for stopping by to read about my vacation. Jamaica is a beautiful place!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You should go. Jamaica is a beautiful place for a vacation!

      Delete
  3. It looks like a great trip! I've never had a tropical vacation, but these pictures are making me add that to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamaica is a great place to start. I am sure you are going to fall in love with the tropics.

      Delete
    2. Jamaica is a great place to start. I am sure you are going to fall in love with the tropics.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I went to Jamacia for our honeymoon and love it! So much fun. Your pictures look amazing.

    www.byky.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic vacation. That carved horse comes with a wonderful story. It's beautiful. My favorite photo in the bunch is the clinking of wine glasses from the bottom up. Love it.

    ReplyDelete